Student Startup & Innovation Policy Cell
Government of Gujarat has developed a policy, Student Startup & Innovation Policy, for providing assistance to student start-ups / innovation. Under this scheme, any individual/ group of individuals having innovative idea/ concept will be eligible and/ or Universities/ education institutions, Incubation Centre/ PSUs/ R&D Institutions/ Private and other establishments will be eligible as an institution to support and mentor to innovators as approved by Committee. The Student Startup & Innovation Policy (SSIP) of Government of Gujarat aims to create an integrated, state-wide, university-based innovation ecosystem to support innovations and ideas of young students and provide a conducive environment for optimum harnessing of their creative pursuit.
The key objectives of the policy are:
- Developing student centric Innovation and Preincubation Ecosystem for Students (IPIES)
- Creating environment for creativity to flourish and an end-to-end support system in educational institutions to allow ample support to ideas for better execution
- Build internal capacity of educational institutions and key components of the innovation ecosystem to enable deployed processes to make sustainable impact at scale
- Create pathways for mind to market by harnessing and handholding projects/ research/ innovation/ ideas of students in Gujarat
- Creating and facilitating sectoral and regional innovation efforts in state around educational institutions
- Create a common platform to showcase, support and upscale innovations for motivating stakeholders as well as for an opportunity to create value for money and value for many
- Leverage public system initiatives at state and central level, academia, industries and by other ecosystem stakeholders / domain experts and institutions to make an inclusive effort
A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was made between Gujarat Knowledge Society (GKS), which is a nodal agency for the implementation of the Student Startup & Innovation Policy (SSIP) of Government of Gujarat, and P T Sarvajanik College of Science on 22nd May, 2020 in order for the institute to be an academic stake holder for the policy implementation.
The institute received a grant of Rs. 1,25,000/- for conducting various activities for the students and to provide a conducive environment to solve problems and create ideas and opportunities. The institute’s SSIP committee approved two projects that were funded for Proof of Concept (PoC) and later on these both projects were put up for filing of patent under the IPR Act of Government of India.